The student weekly of St. Olaf | Wednesday, September 17, 2014 | Subscribe
ISSUE 117 VOL 5 PUBLISHED 10/17/2003

Tales from the trip: Women’s cross country runner documents Oles’ unique journey to pre-national mee

By Brenna Bray
Staff Writer

Friday, October 17, 2003

Wednesday night in Skoglund

At 10:30 p.m. on Wednesday night, 11 girls from the St. Olaf women’s cross country team met at Skoglund Athletic Center to spend the night on the newly sanitized matted floor of the wrestling room. The athletes each carried a weekend bag and pillow and were joined by coach Chris Daymont, who provided sleeping bags for all.

Thursday morning travel

The next morning, at 3 a.m., we received a much anticipated, albeit harsh, wake-up call . Half an hour later, we piled into a 15-passenger van and headed to the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport. Our team was traveling to Hanover, Ind. to race in the Division III pre-national meet on Friday afternoon. Originally, Chris had planned to drive the top 11 runners the 12 hours to Southern Indiana, which would have been very exhausting considering she is the only one licensed to drive St. Olaf vehicles.

However, an anonymous donation of 12 plane tickets allowed our entire pre-national team to make the trip comfortably in less than five hours. We checked our bags at the Twin Cities Airport at 4 a.m., boarded our plane at 5:30, and after a brief layover at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport, arrived in the Lexington/Blue Grass terminal in Kentucky at 10:30 a.m. EST.

Bluegrass treat

At the airport, we were met by Kentucky resident Brenda Franey, mother of Brigid Franey ’01. Brenda led us through the beautiful Kentucky back roads to Kenneland Racetrack, part of the set for the movie Sea Biscuit. At the track, our team received royal treatment as we explored the paddocks and a security guard turned his head while we pet the racehorses whose anxiety we well understood. Although NCAA rules prohibit all athletes from gambling, we made friendly wagers amongst ourselves and experienced "the other side of racing" as Erin Bengsten ‘06 rooted for the winning horse, Atababe, and Erin Weir ‘07 espoused the last place finisher, Princess.

Following Brenda’s recommendation, Stephanie Block ‘07 further enriched her "Kentucky experience" by sampling Burgoo, a favorite racetrack concession. This native stew is traditionally made with squirrel, opossum, veal, mutton, and vegetables. After our tired eyes and bodies had taken in as much Kentucky as we could handle for one day, we parted ways with Brenda and began the two-hour drive to our own racecourse in Hanover, Ind.

Scouting the course

At 3 p.m., we arrived at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Scottsburg, Ind. to check into our rooms. An hour later, we were unpacked, changed, and back in the van for the 20–minute drive to the racecourse at Hanover College, where we would do our pre-meet warm-up. The course consisted of a complicated tangle of loops that scribbled through the college’s athletic grounds. The route angled around athletic fields, swept through "woods" and darted up and down hills. Even with a map in front of us, it was hard to determine the correct path of the course. Our pre-meet work-out consisted of a warm-up on the course, sprint drills and stride-outs at the starting area and a brisk cool-down.

Night out

At 6:30 p.m. we left the racecourse but maintained our pre-race mode since we were running late for our dinner reservations at Jeeves & Company with former Ole thrower Emily Uzzell ‘03. Because we would not be racing until 4 p.m. the following afternoon, we were able to fully enjoy the restaurant’s "innovative American cuisine" without worrying too much about pre-race digestion. The food offered a gourmet contrast to the Subway we had eaten for lunch.

Race day

The team took advantage of the race’s relatively late start by sleeping in on Friday morning; however, everyone was sure to wake-up in time to take advantage of the hotel’s continental breakfast. At noon, the team made its way over to Arby’s. At 2 p.m., we left for the course. Although we all needed to expel some energy and quiet our nerves at one point or another before the race, we all kept "our heads on and our wits in," as the expression goes.

At 2:30 p.m., we arrived at the course, where nearly the entire team joined the ranks in line for the porta-potties. After tending to our bowels, bladders and belongings, our team regrouped to warm-up on the course. The 20-minute warm-up was interrupted by a stretching break and followed by another bathroom break before the team moved into sprint-drills. Although it is undeniable, and perfectly normal, that nerves edge their way into the picture before any race, the familiarity of the pre-race routine helped everyone focus on preparation, rather than panic. A pep-talk from the coach completed preparations, enticing us all into "racing mode." After checking-in with the race official and breezing through our stride-outs, it was all we could do to come together, clap our hands, and call out our catchphrase, "We love it, we love it, we love it, we love it, we love it, we love it, we love it, we love it! Oles!"

Starting Line

Soon, we were on the line waiting for the gun in what proved to be the most anticipated moment of the entire trip. In a single heartbeat, we were off. As captain Marit Grorud ’04 had anticipated, the field started out fast. Grorud held her ground in the front pack, with the other 10 Oles close behind her. Ole harriers have always been known for their "pack running" during races, working together in "packs," pushing and pulling themselves and their teammates to accomplish more than they could on their own. Fittingly so, the Oles were never too far apart on the course; as soon as one woman started to slow her stride, another would step up, maintaining strong motivation and speed.

Fast finishes

Consistent with her competitive start, Grorud finished ninth overall. Behind her, Stephanie Block ’07 finished 13th, just ahead of Bengsten, who placed 20th. Meredith Fahrner ’06, Brenna Bray ’06, and Sarah Estill ‘06 also finished in the top 25, placing 21st, 24th, and 25th respectively. Lindsay Boetcher ’06 rounded out the scoring, picking up a 27th place finish. Larisa Nordstrom ’06 just missed being the seventh and final Ole to score points, finishing in 28th.

The collective effort of the team was good enough to earn a third place finish behind runner-up Emory and pre-national meet champion Ithaca.

After the race, we cooled down as a team, discussed the logistics of our races and complimented each other on strong finishes. After stretching and tending to our many “wounds” via the ice bags, we took pictures, claimed recognition at the awards ceremony, quickly showered in the locker room at the Hanover Athletic Complex and warily piled into the van at 7 p.m. as the day was hastily darkening. Our destination: Lexington, Ky. where the Franeys had hospitably welcomed us to spend the night in their newly renovated town home.

Southern Hospitality

On the two-hour drive that took us back over the border, we indulged in a homemade chocolate cake that Estill had managed to save and some goodies from a complimentary gift basket from the hotel. At 10 p.m. EST we arrived at the Franey’s home where Mr. Franey treated us to a late dinner at Max & Erma’s, an American grille with a family atmosphere, before we finally retired to the make-shift cots and beds that Brenda had kindly prepared for each team member.

Back to Olaf

Saturday was another long day of traveling which began with a 4:30 a.m. wake-up. By the time we arrived back on the Hill at noon, we had once again graced the presence of the Kentucky, Chicago, and Minneapolis/St. Paul airports. Although the main excitement of the trip was behind us at this point, our spirits were held high by our gratitude for all of the generosity that we had received. Our hearts were warmed by Mr. And Mrs. Franey’s kindness and hospitality; our smiles were brightened by Emily Uzzell’s affection and our spirits were thoroughly lifted by the unbelievable generosity of our anonymous donor. In this regard, perhaps the most fulfilling part of our trip away from St. Olaf was the gratitude and excitement with which we anxiously returned.

Printer Friendly version of this page Printer friendly version | E-mail a Copy of the Article to a Friend Email this | Write the editors | More articles by Brenna Bray

Related Links

More Stories

Page Load: 31 milliseconds