The student weekly of St. Olaf | Tuesday, September 23, 2014 | Subscribe
ISSUE 118 VOL 7 PUBLISHED 11/5/2004

Ladies lose in shootout

By Ken Foote
Executive Editor

Friday, November 5, 2004

Although the St. Olaf womens soccer team came up short against Concordia Wednesday in the opening round of the MIAC playoffs, the Oles proved they belonged among the leagues elite.

The second-seeded Cobbers earned a berth in the conference title game on the strength of a 5-4 shootout win after regulation play and two overtime periods ended tied at 3-3.

The team made the lengthy jaunt to Concordia Tuesday to avoid traveling on game day, and proved their mettle throughout the match in nearly upsetting the host Cobbers.

The Oles fell behind early as Concordia tallied two goals before the game was 20 minutes old. Three minutes after the Cobbers took a commanding 2-0 lead, Emily Klamm 05 cut the margin in half with an unassisted goal in the 21st minute. St. Olaf pulled even seconds before the half-time buzzer when Katie Bierlein 07 took a nifty pass from Kelsey Watt 07 and punched the ball past the Concordia keeper.

The second half proved less explosive than the first in terms of scoring, but the Cobbers regained the lead in the 67th minute on Morgan Bains second goal of the contest. Concordia still held a one-goal edge with just over five minutes remaining in the game and looked poised to close the door on the Oles season.

But the team showed it was not ready to concede, and Watt netted the equalizer in the 85th minute to force overtime.

Suffice it to say, the first overtime was a defensive struggle. Bierlein nothced the periods lone shot on net, which was turned aside by Cobber goalie ey.

The second overtime also came and went without incident and the semi-final match now hinged on a shootout. After nine straight shots found the back of the net, Concordia held a 5-4 advantage and the Oles season boiled down to one final shot.

Karen Thiebes 08 took her spot 12 yards from the net, but the subsequent shot found the Cobber keeper instead of the nylon encased cage and the Oles were left with a heart-breaking loss and a long trip home.

Nevertheless, the team can take pride in a season that saw them reach the postseason.

Next years squad will be out to prove that the Oles will be a fixture atop the conference for seasons to come.

Printer Friendly version of this page Printer friendly version | E-mail a Copy of the Article to a Friend Email this | Write the editors | More articles by Ken Foote

Related Links

More Stories

Page Load: 15 milliseconds